Thursday, April 24, 2014

Ought - Habit
8.7/10

Ought is an indie art rock band from Montreal, Canada. This track is taken from their forthcoming debut album More Than Any Other Day which will be released April 29, 2014 on Constellation records. The song appears to take the Talking Heads as its main muse, with a vocal style which recalls David Byrne in the era of Remain in Light. That comparison should be taken as purely complimentary, since Ought take this track to spiritual heights which seem remarkable for a debut single. The rising cries of "I feel it, I habit" and "Cause I need to know I'm not alone" as strings and crashing cymbals build towards the song's conclusion come across as powerful and meaningful without any suggestion that the raw emotions feel forced or phony. This is one of the best singles of 2014 so far, and I can't wait to hear the full debut album.

No comments:

Post a Comment